Thursday, June 13, 2013

What you see...

Today, I was lucky to get a chance to have lunch with my wife.  Having only a short window of time to make this happen, we decided to grab something quick, and given where we were in the loop, the two options that came to mind were Pret a Manger and Native Foods.

This got me thinking as to why those two options were foremost in my mind, and the first thought that came to me was that they gave me the best opportunity to take responsibility for my choices.  The price, ingredients, and health impacts are clear.  I do not have to think too much about what the ingredients are, I can just worry about what I can afford and what I have a taste for.

That leaves only one last piece of information I want: where and how the ingredients were grown and transported.  (Okay, that's four pieces of information.). In a consumer-driven economy, which since we have more people than we can employ in manufacturing and agriculture we have to be, the value of information is immeasurable.  Perhaps that is my biggest issue with companies that are against GMO-labeling, and manufacturing and energy companies in general....that I do not have a right to know what they are doing and make the choice myself.  

If the decisions of a rational consumer are the engine for market economics, then transparency and information must be the fuel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment