Thursday, December 5, 2013

What's in MY wallet?

Every once in a while, an unexpected event happens that distracts us from the planned activities of the day and gives us the opportunity to examine our choices.  My wallet fell out of my pocket and spread the contents across my kitchen floor.  I have one of those front-pocket style wallets that supposedly reduces the risk of sciatica and other back pain that can happen from back-pocket wallets.  It has a series of slots on one side of the fold and one large pocket on the other, with a money clip (normally empty in my case) on the outside.  As a sign that I probably need an upgrade, everything has worn to the point where once free from my pocket, everything scattered.  As I examined the contents, I saw some patterns and took the opportunity to use the happy accident as a moment of self-reflection as I plan for the coming new year.  I list the contents below as a way of seeing myself through that which I choose to keep close to me at almost all times.  Perhaps I may reconsider some of these in the future.

Cash/Debit Card/Credit Card
I rarely carry cash, but today had a fiver.  My one debit card provides most of my purchases, but I do have the credit card for emergencies.  My wife has had the Bank of America account since she moved to Chicago, so we have essentially stayed with it out of habit.  When it does cross my mind, I always oscillate between the benefits of local banking (more resources for the community, better transparency of mission) versus the benefits of banking with a large multinational (greater access to banking centers, usually better rates on deposits and charges).  As part of our end-of-year financial wrap-up, we will take a look at our options - especially since small, local banks have essentially disappeared - and determine if staying with BOA aligns with our family's priorities.

Alternative Transportation Cards
A Metra ten-ride ticket, CTA Chicago Card Plus, and igo Card sit in my pocket as our third car.  With two teenagers in sports, theater, and other after school activities, we have yet to reduce ourselves to one vehicle, but even with two, we have days where we need to go in three different directions, and these come in handy.  I still want a single card to replace all of these, and await the improvements to the Ventra Card system before I ditch my Chicago Card Plus.  Until now, I have chosen not to get a Divvy Bike Share card since no stations exist out in our part of the city (or within several miles of my house), but starting this month I will spend more time each week in the city center, so I plan to add it to my pocket.

Membership Cards
Maybe I listened to too much Pat Benatar over the years, but "we belong"….to many different organizations and museums, that is.  We donate to Chicago Public Radio, and have our "get a discount" MemberCard to prove it.  In addition, we hold memberships at three Chicago museums: Art Institute of Chicago, Museum of Science and Industry, and as of recently the Shedd Aquarium.  Although one can make many stereotypical jokes about people like me who listen to public radio, go to museums, and drive a Prius (in fact, I think South Park has), I believe that public education extends beyond classrooms and even homes.  Universities do not provide access to all, and our media has little obligation to provide basic, hands-on knowledge.  These institutions have value to me and my family…plus, we go often enough that being members saves us money.

Work ID Card
Self-explanatory…except that everyone who knows me that said nothing about my "long-hair phase" needs to man up next time and hold me down if necessary.  What was I thinking?

Frequent Shopper Cards
I have only two: Jamba Juice and Native Foods.  I cannot express how thrilled I was that Jamba took the step to move from styrofoam to processed paper.  Hopefully, technology moves forward to the point where we can replace the processed paper with a fully biodegradable product.  Native Foods has an interesting model, and I hope to learn more this year to determine how long I stay with them.  They serve delicious food, supposedly made on-site from whole food items.  I like the concept, and welcome the change from fast food.  I need to know more about how they treat employees before they get another whole year of my business.

Gym Card
I need to get back into one.  Enough said.

Health Insurance Card
By next week, my wife and I will have made our decision about our insurance plan for next year.  Last year, we had three options: an HMO, a PPO, and a HD/HSA plan all with one provider.  This year, we have two different work plans, with multiple options each, plus forty-five other plans through the Illinois health exchanges from which to choose.  We chose the HD/HSA plan last year because of its guaranteed maximum, and it made our tracking of costs much easier.  This year, with more options comes more "paralysis by analysis", but luckily we have to make the decision by next week.

Costco Member Card
I separate this from the other membership cards for one reason: I have this card simply because of the way this company treats all its employees.  I may learn more over the next year that causes us to rethink our membership, but for now, I like knowing that the people who work at the store have a chance to earn a living wage.  Plus, as I have previously assessed, for the items they carry that we do purchase, they offer the best overall deal, even including the additional mileage we have to drive.

Airline Frequent Flyer Card
This card will leave my wallet today, but not for the reason you think.  I do not think that air travel has to have huge environmental consequences, and I have confidence that of all the major industries, it will soon find a technology that significantly reduces the impact of its emissions.  As well as electronic communications connect us all, nothing can replace face-to-face contact with another human being.  This goes double for interaction with people from different cultures.  Last year, I did some great soul searching, and determined that I would make sacrifices in other parts of my life to make sure that my personal footprint would stay well below average even when including travel.  I plan to dump the card because economically speaking, I see little value to always going with one carrier.

Miscellaneous
I have a blood donor card, but wish that I could just us an app on my phone.  I also have a coupon from a consignment store.  I hope I never need it, but as part of my three-year-old's last school pictures, I have a photo card with "what to do if your child is missing" information.

I save my favorites for last…..

My Library Card
Holding reign as the longest resident of my wallet, having resided in at least four previous wallets, my library card features prominently.  To me, we have no greater sign of the combination of individual spirit and collective responsibility.  So many great authors, researchers, playwrights, innovators, imaginers, etc. have laid down pen to paper and codified their thinking…some with great consequence. Our libraries gather all of these and make them freely available to anyone that holds the key: a library card.  Fifteen years ago, we heard that technology would cause the death of libraries, and it turns out it has only made them better and more interesting.  I love going to the library, I love sitting and working in one, and although I love buying books, I have moved to a 50/50 plan where I borrow as many as I buy.  If you don't have one, get one.

A Laminated Prayer
Actually, the one in my wallet has two.  My favorite biblical verse, and my favorite prayer…and yes, I held competitions for both.  I do not wear my religion on my sleeve, having gained appreciation for all faiths, and respecting all no matter their belief, however despite every reason to find another option, I remain Roman Catholic.  My detailed reasons for staying do not matter as much as what the card says about my Catholicism, a faith that our new pope has started to reinforce for me.  One side has the Prayer of St. Francis, and regardless of your faith, you should read it.  Much like the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh, the basic thought behind the prayer crosses the borders we have established for our religions.  On the other side, I copied the passage from Matthew's gospel right after the Beatitudes (a strong competitor for my favorite in its own right).  It's a passage used as inspiration for the Act I finale of the musical Godspell: "You are the light of the world…let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in heaven."  Nothing has yet toppled these from their position of prominence…and I doubt any ever will.

For what it's worth, there's my wallet.  Pictures have moved to my phone, and I used to carry the cards we get at wakes, but those wore away too much.  I foresee more and more of these moving to mobile-based applications.  (My Art Institute membership already has an app to replace the card.)  Until then, I plan to keep making as many choices as possible based on my belief in improving quality of life for all, and hope that I have the strength to back up those choices through those symbols I carry with me everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment