Monday, October 13, 2014

What's in a label?

Last week, I heard three different people use the phrase "those environmentalists". The first was the former CEO of one of the largest coal companies in the world, the second the head of one of the largest tar sands companies in the world, and the third was a major real estate developer. In each of these cases, the label of environmentalist was used to describe someone against progress under the guise of "protecting the environment". It's a convenient instrument - labeling someone - for it automatically allows one to define someone in a way that makes their opposition dismissible.

This dismissal caused me to do some soul searching. Am I an "environmentalist" under any definition of the word? Do I perceive the word differently than those who used it so derogatorily? I do believe that we have acted in a way that ignores the impacts on the environment, that uses our environment as a toxic emissions sink, and that jeopardizes the stability of the environment.

But I do not do this on behalf of the environment, but on the behalf of us.

I want to live. I want my children to live long and happy lives. I want my grandchildren to have the same opportunity as I have had. Thanks to my upbringing, I also want every person on the planet to have the same, equal opportunity for them and their children and grandchildren. I know that the only way that we are allowed to keep living is to take care of those systems that support our lives. The air, water, and food we so desperately need to keep living all come from the environment around us. I call for us to protect that environment to protect us.

Each of the corporate leaders who dismiss environmentalists as unreasonable obstacles firmly believe that they are doing what is best for humanity...supplying the energy and shelter that will maximize quality of life. The one error they make is that they accept sacrificing the quality of life of some to raise the quality of life of others. They accept that poisoning the atmosphere, putting the lives of workers at risk, and lessening the pool of resources available to everyone are acceptable circumstances as long as we create progress for some.

We have passed that point long ago.

We have more than enough knowledge, resources, and capacity to generate the energy we need, supply the food we need, and create a high quality of life for all without sacrificing the life of anyone. The only label that need be placed in this debate is on those who still believe that we must sacrifice the lives of one group to raise the lives of another....they are wrong, plain and simple. Not evil. Just wrong.

As for me, I prefer not to use labels for myself or anyone else. You can call me an environmentalist, or a tree hugger, or a social entrepreneur. The only time you will get an argument from me is if you try to suggest I am standing in the way of making life better for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment